Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 23:01:44 +0100
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPS that will run xBSD

If you find sysadmining fun, go for it, but AWS is a bit of a learning =
curve. Very enjoyable, but a change in the mindset: no consoles, =
declarative configs etc=E2=80=A6 Powerful if you need a fleet of a =
servers (a few or thousands), or if you use some other cloud services, =
like content distribution networks or geo-aware DNS. AWS can be way too =
much learning for just a single server, even if it is very cheap, or =
free with the 12 month free tier, also offered on Azure.

Other cloud providers can be more accessible, but, in my opinion, after =
6 years with AWS and Azure, hardly anyone other than those two come with =
so many ready-made services, many of those critically important for my =
business. FYI, years ago we run on RackSpace for a couple of years, and =
Linode, for a much shorter time, having also tried some no-longer in =
business server colocators. All of those were much closer to the =E2=80=9C=
my machine in the server room next door=E2=80=9D feeling but nowhere =
near the breadth, or the low prices we get with AWS and Azure.

Good luck, and do consider contacting Colin if you have questions, he =
has been very helpful to me and know much about FreeBSD on AWS=E2=80=94and=
 I am saying this only a few days into our trial benchmark of FreeBSD in =
AWS against CentOS and Amazon Linux. There is a =
freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org mail list, but it is still a bit quiet there.

Rafal

> On 30 Aug 2017, at 22:43, Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk> wrote:
>=20
> On 30/08/2017 22:39, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:
>> While I am not a FreeBSD expert, I have built a good few AWS AMIs =
(Amazon Machine Images) for various Linuxes I have used over the years. =
The process generally requires you to use an existing available machine =
(say FreeBSD RELEASE) to build what you need first. You should use a =
pricier and a much faster machine for that, but you can change the =
underlying hardware just for this purpose, switching down to a cheaper =
one later.
>>=20
>> In the process, you create an AWS ESB volume that contains your =
desired new OS (say STABLE in your case). You snapshot that, which is an =
easy AWS operation, and you register that snapshot as a new AMI that you =
can now use to launch any number of new machines with your desired =
kernel and config.
>>=20
>> Bear in mind this is an oversimplification of the process, as you =
have to pay attention to the needs of the hypervisor and the provided =
hardware. However, all of this has been done for us by Colin Percival. =
Have a look at his article in which he explained how to build your own =
FreeBSD AWS AMIs:
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html
>>=20
>> If you do not need an AMI, that is you only want to update the very =
machine on which you are working, you can simply change to a new kernel =
and reboot. Caveat: I have not tried that with FreeBSD (yet) only =
CentOS.