Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:55:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      mtalbert@mail.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/10657: Unable to install from CDROM or DOS partition

>Number:         10657
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       Unable to install from CDROM or DOS partition
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm having trouble installing the 3.1 on my Pentium 100 machine, using
a generic CD-ROM drive:
(1)  When I try to do the install from the CDROM by typing install from
the DOS prompt I get the following error:
<snip>
G:\>freebsdboot.exe -D kernel
Bad command or file name
</snip>

(2)when I boot from the floppies, go the through the Novice setup,
choose CDROM as the medium...when it actually goes to read from the
CDROM drive I get the error:
<snip>
write failure on transfer!(wrote -1 bytes fo 1024 bytes)
</snip>
it'll give this error when starting to install a dist. (ie BIN), while
in the middle of installing another bin (ie DOC)

(3) If I choose the DOS Partition as the installation medium( all dist. have
been xcopy(ied) to the correct DOS directory) I get the error:
<snip>
Couldn't extract the following distributions. This may be because they
were not available on the instillation medium you've chosen.
</snip>

I haven't had this problem before when installing FreeBSD 2.2.6 to 2.2.8
>How-To-Repeat:
Not sure if this only isolated to my system or the CDROM that I have,
so it may be hard to reproduce.