Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:09:31 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User PPP, problem with modem password on dial-up

> Brian Somers wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone help me with a couple of problems I'm having with User PPP?.
> > > I set it up to dial into my ISP (the instructions in the FreeBSD
> > > handbook are first-class BTW, I followed them from start to finish,
> > > rebooted and dialled in first time - well done whoever wrote them ), and
> > > it all works OK apart from one small problem, which is annoying more
> > > than anything else.
> > >
> > >       When a connection is made I get the prompt "ppp on marder-1" (lower
> > > case 'ppp'), eventually this changes to "PPP on marder-1" (upper case
> > > 'PPP') which, if I understand it correctly means that I am now logged
> > > into the network. However I still get "host has no DNS entry" when I try
> > > to access a Web page and "no route to server" if I ping the ISP's
> > > nameserver. But, if I type "add HISADDR 0 0" at the ppp prompt
> > > everything works OK. The entry in my ppp.conf is as per the example in
> > > the handbook (except for the phone no. etc.) which includes the 'add...'
> > > string. It would appear that it is necessary to wait before sending this
> > > string, but I can't work out how to do this in the ppp.conf entry. Any
> > > ideas?
> >
> > Check out the man page.  You need a ppp.linkup file with the `add'.
> >

> I've already got a ppp.linkup file containing:
>
> 	global:
> 	 delete all
> 	 add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> The problem appears to be that these commands are being sent before my
> computer has been registered on the network. Is there a 'delay' or
> 'wait' command that can be used to delay the sending of these commands?

This shouldn't really be the case.  If you enable `ipcp' and
`command' logging, you should see a message saying ``IpcpLayerUp(N)''
just before you see the ``delete all'' and ``add 0 0 HISADDR'' being
executed.  All this should happen *after* the ``changing address:
a.b.c.d --> e.f.g.h'' message (which happens when the peer NAKs our
IPCP req).

If you really want to experiment with a delay, you can execute a
script at this point, something link:

global:
  delete all
  !bg /etc/ppp/delayed-default HISADDR

where /etc/ppp/delayed-default (with execute permissions) says:

#! /bin/sh
sleep 5
route add default $1

> > >       My second problem is that I need to dial into the network at work. The
> > > modem I dial into (USR Courier v.34) has the password set on it but I
> > > never get to see the password prompt. In Windoze NT4 I simply cloned the
> > > phonebook entry for my ISP, changed the phone no. and added the option
> > > to pop-up a terminal window after dialling. The modems' password prompt
> > > appears in this window, enter the password, dismiss the terminal window
> > > and NT logs me into the network. How do I get to enter the modem
> > > password using FreeBSD's user PPP?
> >
> > Use the `term' command to figure out how to get past the login: and
> > password: prompts, then try enabling `chat' logging to ensure that
> > your chat script is doing the same thing.
> >

> I tried that, started a term, dialled up manually (ATDT.... etc) and got
> the modem's password prompt. I entered the modem password and got the
> 'Security access granted' message but then the terminal will accept no
> more commands (the cursor stays at the end of the last message). Under
> NT4 it is necessary to dismiss the terminal window to invoke the (NT)
> login but doing this (typing "~.") doesn't work with FreeBSD. It would
> seem that there is some command that must be sent to fire up NT's login
> procedure, Ctrl-Alt-Del is a possibility as that is required when
> logging in locally to NT, but I can't figure out how to send this.
>
> Have you any other suggestions?. The sysadmin at work is not much help,
> the dial-in was setup to allow salesmen & engineers to dial in from
> there laptops running Win95 so the response I get is 'use Windows', but
> I don't want to. I prefer to use a REAL Operating System :-).

You could try using ~p instead of ~. - forcing ppp to start sending
LCP configure requests.

[.....]

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;