Date:      Mon, 12 May 2008 22:22:12 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Zbigniew Komarnicki <cblasius@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic FreeBSD 7.0 - Xorg

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 08:34:17PM +0200, Zbigniew Komarnicki wrote:
> On Monday 12 of May 2008 16:24:44 Roland Smith wrote:
> > How *exactly* did you upgrade your ports? Sometimes old libraries hang
> > around causing trouble.
>=20
> I simply download the iso file for boot only:=20
> 7.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso
>=20
> Then burn on CD and then install fresh 7.0-RELEASE on hard disk - minimal=
=20
> system. Next I used portsnap to download ports:
> portsnap fetch
> [...]

Did you do a 'portsnap extract' as well? Fetching alone isn't enough.

> got the first kernel panic. Then I used:
> Xorg -configure
> X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
>=20
> and again I got kernel panic, and also as mention previous, for drivers "=
ati"=20
> and "radeon", too.

You should definitely use the radeon driver for this hardware.=20
=20
> > > savecore: reboot after panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr:
> > > e56e8000 savecore: writing core to vmcore.2
>=20
> Now I have vmcore.8
>=20
> > This can also help you debug. Load it up in the kernel debugger;
> >
> >   kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols vmcore.2
> >
> > Then inside the debugger, give the 'bt' command.
>=20
> I coudn't do that because I obtain the following information (I do not=20
> remember exactly)
> Couldn't find file vmcore.2=20
>
> I went to the "/boot/kernel/" and there really no such file.

Saved cores are kept in /var/crash by default. See "dumpdir" in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. Try

  kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols /var/crash/vmcore.8

> > What kind of graphics card do you have? What does 'pciconf -lv' say?
>=20
> I have: Radeon 9200 SE Series'. It is correctly recognized in xorg.conf.n=
ew,=20
> but if I remember in 6.3 the driver was "ati" for such card not "radeon".

> vgapci0@pci0:2:0:0:	class=3D0x030000 card=3D0x596412ab chip=3D0x59641002 =
rev=3D0x01=20
> hdr=3D0x00
>     vendor     =3D 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>     device     =3D 'Radeon 9200 Radeon 9200 SE Series'
>     class      =3D display
>     subclass   =3D VGA
>=20
>=20
> In file: "/var/log/dmesg.today" I found at the end  of file the following=
=20
> entries:
> pid 23201 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> pid 34580 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)

Hmm. Signal 12 is "non-existant system call invoked". That's one I've
never seen before.
=20
> This was when I run "startx" as normal user without file "xorg.conf"=20
> in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". So the Xorg server must such file generated on t=
he=20
> fly - and the result of course was kernel panic.=20
>=20
> Why Xorg do kernel panic?=20

It has access to system internals via /dev/mem and /dev/io. So it can
potentially screw things up pretty badly.

It might also be a hardware problem. Testing the RAM would be a good
place to start.

Roland
--=20

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62