Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 12:14:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        bradley oedithipus <bradley@swt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Subject:   Re: NFS

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, bradley oedithipus wrote:

> This is an NFS problem....
> Then i get these errors.
>
> Apr 30 15:32:07 virt nfsd:[598]: can't register with udp portmap
> Apr 30 15:33:30 virt mountd[592]: can't register mount

	One of the problems with this report is that you did not specify
what version of FreeBSD you are running. Another problem is that you did
not check the mail archives before posting, because this problem has been
covered in detail several times.

	First check to see if lo0 is up using ifconfig -a. If it is, go to your
hosts.allow file and make the localhost entry look like this:

ALL : localhost 127.0.0.1 : allow

The problem is that portmap needs an explicit IP address entry in your
hosts.allow file in order for it to work. In fact, since I'm thinking
about it, Sheldon, can you add that to the /usr/src/etc/hosts.allow
file? I think it will help avoid this confusion in the future.

	BTW, if lo0 is not up on your box, take a look at the entry in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf to see how it's done, then change your
network_interfaces= setting in /etc/rc.conf[.local] to do the right
thing for your next boot. In fact, as long as network_interfaces="auto" is
in your default file, you should probably leave that setting out of
/etc/rc.conf[.local] altogether.

Good luck,

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.