Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:59:48 -0700
From:      "Dan Trainor" <dan@ript.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: question about rc.conf

Well, upon further review of the handbook, I came across this -

Note: Do not place any commands in /etc/rc.conf. To start daemons, or
run any commands at boot time, place a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
instead.

This still leaves me wondering where I would define options found in the
default rc.conf.  Should I just hack away at rc.conf, or is there a
program which must invoke such changes?

Also, when cvsup'ing and upgrading a FreeBSD-4.3 box to FreeBSD-4.5-RC2
box, the ports installation of ssh2 breaks when it tries to replace the
original system-installed (FreeBSD-4.3) version of sshd.  Upon the next
reboot, the old sshd server starts, not the new one.  Perhaps some
developers are looking at this list, as well.

-dt