Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/17148: If keyboard is not attached while booting, it is not  detected if attached later

The following reply was made to PR kern/17148; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, mb@imp.ch
Subject: Re: kern/17148: If keyboard is not attached while booting, it is not
 detected if attached later
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 23:21:56 +0200

 PC keyboards were never designed to be [un]plugged with the machine
 powered on.
 You would not be the first one to blow keyboard fuses or keyboard
 controller chips.
 The keyboard resetting or not (meaning that its own in-keyboard chips
 reset correctly)
 depends on the keyboard itself. Some reset all the time, some never,
 some sometimes.

 In short: don't do that if you prefer your hardware to remain in good
 working order.

 Wilko
 wilko@freebsd.org

 [ and before someone tells me: I know most people get away with this.
 That does not
 make it a good idea ]