Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:06:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, scrappy@hub.org, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: [PORTS] Pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, Update

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> On 1998-03-29 13:57:30 -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:
> > We have been playing with the idea of normalizing the archive into an
> > RDBMS.  Some of the benefits are:
> >
> > *  no need to update the threads database.  It will always be updated.
> > *  Users can create, easily, their own thread logic with no impact on
> >    system performance.
> > *  Searching on normalized fields are many times faster, and much less
> >    costly in system resources.

[snip]

> If you plan to use a real SQL database, you should consider at least
> 500,000 data sets, better 1 million. You need 2GB for the raw E-Mails
> and 2-4GB for the index. I don't know if there are free available
> databases which can handle this large data.

It has been well established for many years by professionals in
database R&D that traditional a RDBMS are utterly and completely
the wrong tool for free text searching.  This turns out to be
true even for some relatively structured data types like
bibliographic records.

There *are* some tasks in a real-world applications that are
RDBMS type things--a message-id based thread index is simple to
implement for instance--so I'm all for hybrid systems.  The big
RDBMS vendors usually have some optional module optimized for
free-text searching module and some SQL extensions to access it.
I've pondered writing such a module for postgres, but don't
really know enough about extending postgres to know how well it
would work.

-john