Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 14:00:35 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

At 06:39 PM 6/19/97 +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
>You've still done something wrong.  I am in the process of a
>'make release' right now, and apart from our CVS server maching throwing
>a gear in the middle of the checkout it's going fine.
>
>The machine running the release, incidentally, has been doing checkout,
>make world cycles since last Friday evening.
>
>THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH 2.2.
>
>I don't know why, or what has broken peoples' systems, but it's nothing
>wrong with the tree.

If there is nothing wrong, why were so many people having problems all of a
sudden?  I would say the lack of the login.conf in /etc was a 'problem'...
the changing of the /usr/include structure was also a 'problem'...  Look, I
am not out to bitch about FreeBSD... I think its an incredible project.
But thats not to say there are some minor glitches here and there, and
always room for improvment...   I have been following 2.2-RELENG for a
couple of months now, with almost weekly updates.  I ran into problems when
I skipped a few weeks. The big one being the changing of the /usr/include
tree.  I try and read the main lists almost religiously.. But its easy to
miss a post that details a change to the tree structure.... Now, if there
was a README file of some sort included with the cvsup process, detailing
any manual interventions necessary in the make world process, this would
help avoid situations like this.  But blindling blaming the user saying
there is nothing wrong doesnt help matters, nor is it correct...

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *