Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 21:18:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> >improvements. Whether you like it or no, we have to "sell" FreeBSD. Making
> >not only the code, but the organization, more user friendly will influence
> >far more people than will the excellent quality of the internals which you
> >already do well.

[ ... ]

> >I have a different perspective. There IS a problem. Jordan, Terry, Nate,
> >and I, and perhaps others, have discussed a possible solution. I offered to
> >be the coordinator of the effort to move to something that will address the
> >problem.
> >I have even given a detailed description of the new scheme.
>
>    I think you're looking at the problem with blinders on. Whether the sources
> build or not is a _very_ small problem when compared with the larger issue of
> whether or not the code works correctly. As I've already said, it's our policy
> that the code should compile after a CVS commit. If it doesn't then this is
> clearly a mistake and perhaps people should try harder to at least satisfy
> this requirement.
>
>    What you should be complaining about is not source tree build problems. The
> real problems are with the proper operation of the code. This is a far bigger
> problem - certainly more critical to the success of FreeBSD - and one that
> doesn't have any easy solutions other than rigorous testing (which we do of
> course, but can take weeks of time to show up certain problems). ...and we
> have addressed this problem in the only way we reasonably can: it's why we do
> releases.

Look at it logically:

1)	Inre: testing

	Posit:		The ability to reliably compile current will
			increase the use of current

	Posit:		Increased use implies increased testing

	Conclusion:	It is possible to increase testing by increasing
			the  the ability to reliably compile current

2)	Inre: load on the core team

	Posit:		Most "fires" posted about on the -current
			list are the result of failure of the tree
			to build as expected, for whatever reason

	Posit:		The main reasons the tree fails to build as
			expected are "pilot error", "internal tree
			inconsistency", and "race conditions in the
			process of making the tree available"

	Posit:		Most "fires" posted about on the -current
			list must be verified/refuted by an expenditure
			of effort, generally by a core team member

	Posit:		The verification/refutation of a given "fire"
			constitutes "load"

	Conclusion:	It is possible to reduce load on the core team
			by removing the possibility for "pilot error"
			in the build process, removing the possibility
			for "internal tree inconsistency" (either in
			the real tree, or in the exposed tree), and
			by closing the potential race windows.

Pretty obviously, the only negative effect is "status quo is changed".
I claim that the measurement system that calls this a negative effect
is, itself, flawed.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---