Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:57:36 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <ak@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pop calls from script

Alexey Koptsevich wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I would appreciate any help on the subject.
>
> I would like to find any non-GUI application that can make the
> pop-exchange automatically.

Pine?  Elm?  Mutt?  All are available in the ports collection.  I don't
know about the rest, but Pine can certainly pull messages from a POP
server.

> I.e., it should login to the POP-server
> (I think, POP fits this purpose better than SMTP), download the mail that
> came and upload the mail that waits for sending at the moment.

POP is a one way street - from them (Your ISP's mail server) to you.
POP does not send mail, that's why we have 'sendmail'.

> I found
> only p5-Mail-POP3Client-1.15 in the ports.

That's a Perl module - you need to write a script which includes this
module for it to be of any benefit to you.  Writing the script isn't
difficult - as a matter of fact I used this when I was first learning
Perl some time ago.