Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 05:26:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Re: FreeBSD keyboard

In Email, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu> wrote:

I fixed the cc: list to have chat@freebsd again, since it was
my fooling around with a new mailer that got rid of it in
the first place.

> On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> For something with fairly simple and regular layout, sure.  For
> something like WIRED, probably not.  SGML (in spirit) completely
> separates presentation from content.  At one end of the text

Well yes, that's what the SGML gurus seem to say when they are
waxing philosophical... :)

I think it could be done, but the sheer complexity caused by
the number of elements and attributes that would be necessary
would make it rather impractical.

> > You forgot diff.
>
> Diff is an easy one!  You have two, possibly three files, plop
> them on your diff tool, cruncha, cruncha, cruncha, then you have
> highlighted side-by side comparisons with differences highlighted
> in different colors, you just go through selecting which pieces
> you want from which file, generating a new file.  If all you want
> is a patch file, even easier.  Adjust a few knobs on the diff
> tool for how you want the diff generated, then drag your files,
> or a whole folder of files in and bam, there is your diff!

You make it sound so exciting! :)  "cruncha, cruncha" ... "adjust a
few knobs" ... "bam, there is your diff!"  :)

The problem, as I see it, is that if you are going to have to
resort to using icons for tools, you could end up with
such a large number of icons (and remember, each of these
icons must be large enough for a few knobs (or does the icon
grow larger when we drop something on it to allow finer control?))
that the whole system becomes unuseable.

Or, maybe in practice it's not necessary to have more than a single
row of icons.

tIM...HOEk
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  NEVER!