Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 15:48:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeDetect & Plug n Play

> There actually is a P&P for ISA, where the motherboard completely disables
> all but one slot, so you know what you found where.

I must first say that I don't know exactly how PnP works on ISA,
but I believe that in the standard there are no dedicated lines on
the ISA bus so that one can disable a single slot.

I have recently come across a data sheet for a TI 16550 (UART)
clone with PnP support, and from the data sheet it seems that the
selection of specific devices is done in software by running a
protocol on a few I/O ports.

Basically (details may be incorrect), ISA PnP devices all listen
for writes on a couple of ports (one is the printer status, so that
nobody should write there). There the CPU issues commands that are
understood by PnP devices. Using some binary-search technique one
can disable all but one device, identify it, set its I/O address
and other stuff, and then continue with the next devices.

To come back to Poul's mail: in general, it should not be the
motherboard which disables the slot, it is the software that disables
PnP cards. Of course *some* motherboards might do what Poul says,
but this is not generally applicable. On the other end, PnP compliant
devices should work on all motherboards.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/