Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 11:51:47 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        Danil Shebunin <daktaklakpak@public.mtu.ru>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel PPP (PPPD): ip-up & ip-down scripts execution

> > Your best bet is to run pppd as root.  Alternatively, use user-ppp
> > and the ``set filter'' command.

> "[...] The scripts (ip-up, ip-down and others - D.S.) are executed as
> root (with the real and effective user-id set to 0), so that they can do
> things such as update routing tables or run privileged daemons. [...]"
> I don't see any obstructions to run ipfw from ip-up script - but it don't
> run. I do 'ipfw show' and it shows me firewall rules after machine boot,
> not the ones, I set in ip-up.

There is definitely something dysfunctional in the running of
those scripts in kernel ppp (certainly in 2.2.8, not tested
since).  I could not easily discover what the problem was and
abandoned it because the timeout code is also broken in pppd and
that mattered to me.  I switched to user-ppp and all my problems
went away.  Because I don't have spare boxes to test ppp-type
problems with, I have not reported the kernel-ppp problems as I
cannot provide any useful data.  I do recall that the scripts
seemed to run in part, but never did everything that I wanted
them to do.

> And user ppp... Well, I think it will be harder to manage user ppp daemon
> from scripts.

I very much doubt this -- take some time to fully read the
documentation and I think you'll find you can do anything you
want to, and you'll benefit from using a package that is both
actively maintained and apparently more useful.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>