Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2019 11:39:18 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pine64 and USB bug

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 01:03:43 -0700
Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Jul-7, at 13:08, Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm at dino.sk> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > on both Pine64 and Pine64-LTS I observed a problem with USB ports.
> > Both board have two ports, lower one (nearer to PCB) works, but
> > upper one does not.

[ snip ]

> But, ss I remember, the 1-USB-port-usable status has been true
> much longer than that . . . Looking . . .
>
> Head -r324563 is where ECHI was (re-)enabled on the lower port.
> The note from -r323641 still applied back then:
>
> QUOTE:
> This (plus 323640) re-enable OHCI on Pine64 on the bottom USB port.
> The top USB port is routed to the OHCI0/EHCI0 which is by default in
> OTG mode. While the phy code can handle the re-route to standard
> OHCI/EHCI we still need a driver for musb to probe and configure it
> in host mode. :END QUOTE

Thanks, Mark, this explains why... The question is, what could be done
to fix it.

By the way, in /boot/loader.conf, there are lines

# Configure USB OTG; see usb_template(4).
hw.usb.template=3

Looking in man page, this is for USB device... and as (for Pine64-LTS
case at least) there are just two USB type A connectors, i. e. only
for host controllers. For device side there should be other connector
type. Any comments?

And looking for musb, there seems to be just one implementation in
current src tree, for TI's am335x. So for Allwinner's SoC we have
nothing.

Any hint? Could OHCI0/EHCI0 be switched from default OTG mode? Or is
the musb driver for A64 the only way?

Regards,
Milan