Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 03:10:42 -0500
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what does a syncookies attack look like ?

Nope, I've been lucky enough to not experience any strange lock-ups that
weren't my own doing.  And Jason covered those; file & process descriptors.
You just mentioned syncookie and you hadn't applied the related the patch.
So, I made blind guess.

When the server crashes is the console responsive?

You'll probably need to gather a tcpdumps from a couple of crashes to allow
you to find a pattern/attack traffic.  Just remember to set the snarf length
to 1500.

Something like 'tcpdump -s 1500 -w dump1.tcp -n host <server's address>'
will write the raw stream of all traffic involving your server's ip address
to dump1.tcp and then you can use ethereal to browse thru the traffic.  From
there it is pretty much a process of elimination; eliminate the legitimate
traffic and then figure out what the questionable traffic is.

Probably not what you want to hear, just because you'll have to suffer thru
at least two more crashes.

As for what an actual syn attack might look like, snort's database/rule-set
is probably the best bet.  You might even be able to feed a captured stream
thru snort and have it spit out what it thinks.

Optionally you could try applying the workaround of disabling syncookies,
probably a long-shot but shouldn't hurt to try.

Are there any other machines on your network that are accessing the crashing
server at the "zero hour"?  Could it be possible they are kicking off a
fatal process?

You could also try an entry like:
*.*	/var/log/messages
and/or
*.*	/dev/console
in your /etc/syslog.conf.  Maybe you'll get lucky and capture a useful
message before the server crashes.  Remember to HUP syslogd after making the
change.

Good luck,
  Greg