Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 14:10:38 +0100
From:      M + P International <sales@m-p.co.uk>
To:        support@cdrom.com

We have a FreeBSD Pentium II 300Mhz, 128Mb Ram file server running in our
offices. After a few teething problems it seems to be running very smoothly
and with no problems to date.

Unfortunately, now we are trying to get file locking and sharing to work,
we have come up with a problem.

We have tried connecting to this server with Windows 95/8 and Sun Solstice
Client 3.1

When we try to connect with file locking and sharing enabled in solstice,
we have problems. The computers hang an refuse to connect to anything.

We then tried to determine what the problem was by attempting to connect to
the FreeBSD server with some of our older Dos pc's with PC-NFS 5.0
installed. This gave us the error message 'cannot contact the network lock
manager on the server'.
We have tried to find the network lock manager on the server, but to no
availe. We have rpc.lockd running and statd. Have you any Idea what is wrong?

It would be much appreciated if you could help.

Many thanks

Alex Hellier
M & P International Ltd handles technology for
Meadows & Passmore Ltd
Speechlink Ltd
Touchlink Ltd
Visit our web site at <http://www.m-p.co.uk>;