Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:09:20 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP bandwidth bragging

John Birrell stands accused of saying:

> I have an 80186 with NO hard disk and a 16 line liquid crystal screen
> that doesn't do graphics, 256K memory + 256K memory in the expansion
> box which has *TWO* 5.25" floppies. It doesn't have a turbo switch!
> It has a "speadsheet" program on a plug in EPROM.

*shrug*  I have a CP/M laptop (just retired) and the Olivetti rebadge of
the Kyocera machine that was the TRS-80 Model 100.  Neither of these
make for very good BSD machines either 8)

> Exactly which bit of FreeBSD do you put on that 40M disk?

You can actually put an entire BSD system on a 40M disk.  In fact, for
some time around 1.1 days, there was a dialin server running in the
spare bedroom on a 20M disk.  (dotat.apana.org.au, IIRC).

Now that 40M disks are getting harder to source (and less reliable when
you _do_ source them), I don't bother with these tiny installs anymore,
which is why I scream at people that complain about a few more 800K
binaries in the system.