Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:39:53 -0400
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>
Subject:   Re: Update vmware port: testers required

> > > I'd like to help you with the test, however, could you update your
> > > VMware version to 2.0.1 release (Build 570) first?
> >
> >Done.
>
> Okay.  With this newer port I seem to be working ok.  I had a few
> odd problems, but those may have been my fault.  For instance, I
> managed to do the linux install with the wrong video card (just a
> screwup on my part).  So, at the moment I can't get into X, but
> the bridged network support does seem to be working right.
> This  is  excellent.
>
> I am testing this on release 4.0-2000.0625-STABLE, on hardware
> which is a dual-CPU 650 MHz P3 system, 256meg of RAM.
>
> Right now I'm testing on virtual disks, as that seemed the safest.
Do you have an IDE hard drivers? If so please try to use raw disk or plain
disk (to be safe you are can select read only access for all partitions).
I know about some problem on early stage, some thing like VMware crashed
on startup, or when you are trying to create/edit parameters for such
drive.

> When I start the virtual machine, vmware warns me that I'm running
> on a "remote file system", which may slow things down.  Is that
> just because it's seeing a native freebsd filesystem instead of a
> native linux (ext2fs) filesystem?  Should I compile ext2fs support
> in my system, reformat a slice to ext2fs (using linux), mount that
> under freebsd, and then create my virtual disks there?
Now, vmware doesn't matter about filesystem type in that way (BTW
FreeBSD has a bug wich prevent to run any executables from ext2fs).
So I'm out of idea, I know that vmware can complain about 'remote display',
about 'remote file system' never seen that.

> Also, some of the comments in README.FreeBSD need a little updating.
> For instance, there is no longer a need to install the separate
> linuxproc.tar.gz port, since that's now in the linproc module.  It
> would be particularly nice if it mentioned WHAT someone needs to do
> if they don't have linproc mounted.  It's simple once you know where
> to look, but it can take awhile to find the right inf.  Also, the
> README.FreeBSD still says that the port only supports 'Host only'
> networking.
That's right for vmware point of view this networking is 'Host only', but
for the rest of computers in your LAN it's a bridged.

> Is there much chance that this could be improved to support
> multiple guest OS's running at the same time?  (in different
> vmware processes, of course).  The more OS's I can run on the
> one machine, the easier life gets when testing certain changes.
It's a problem, with differncies between Linux and FreeBSD in aproach
open/close device drivers.

> Also, the emulators/rtc port seems a little odd.  It does not
> seem to have the same targets as other ports, or work in quite
> the same way.
Sorry, what are you mean?

--
Vladimir