Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:20:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@iengines.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with rebooting FBSD NFS server and BSDI NFS clients.

Hi,

	I'm continuing to shakedown a FreeBSD v3.3-STABLE NFS server, and
am encountering a problem with one of the NFS clients connecting via AMD
on a BSDI v3.1 system.  When I reboot the FreeBSD server, and it comes
back up, the BSDI client refuses to remount the affected partitions; it
just says:

"Resource temporarily unavailable"

	What you end up having to do is to forcibly unmount and remount
the partitions.  (kill -HUP'ing amd didn't work either).  The other
systems (clients - HP and AIX) remounted the partitions with no
problem.  The interesting bit is that this BSDI box also connects as a NFS
client via AMD to a Digital AlphaServer (which acts as a NFS server for
another project), and when that box freezes up and is rebooted, the
BSDI client picks up from where it left off with no unmounting required.

I am currently running nfsd on the FreeBSD server with the flags:

'-u -n 5'

Has anyone experienced this type of problem before? (Perhaps I should
allow tcp connects as well for NFS, I currently allow only UDP)

Thanks in advance - Peter