Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 1995 10:42:33 +0000
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@leonardo.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   minor frob for 'finger'

	Longtime ARPAnauts will remember that 'finger' used to work
a little differently over the net - the closing brace around the
host name was not printed until a net connection had been successfully
established.  That code broke in the UNIX version when stdout to a
terminal was made line-buffered by default...and now I see the original
code (which must have looked very mysterious) has disappeared entirely,
in favor of having the host name printed before the connection rather
than after, which was the effect of the breakage.

	I'm sorry, but I'm an old fart.  I prefer finger's original
behavior.  Hence, this patch, humbly proffered:

*** net.c.dist  Tue May 30 06:30:16 1995
--- net.c       Sat Aug 12 10:32:20 1995
***************
*** 95,106 ****
        }

        /* have network connection; identify the host connected with */
!       (void)printf("[%s]\n", hp->h_name);
        if (connect(s, (struct sockaddr *)&sin, sizeof(sin)) < 0) {
                perror("finger: connect");
                (void)close(s);
                return;
        }

        /* -l flag for remote fingerd  */
        if (lflag)
--- 95,108 ----
        }

        /* have network connection; identify the host connected with */
!       (void)printf("[%s", hp->h_name);
!       (void)fflush(stdout);
        if (connect(s, (struct sockaddr *)&sin, sizeof(sin)) < 0) {
                perror("finger: connect");
                (void)close(s);
                return;
        }