Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 03:29:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS heads up

> This is what "Differential GPS" provides: a standard time source that
> can be used to remove the SA meanderings from the GPS fix.

If I'm understanding this correctly (with very little actual research into
it) is that a DGPS station essentially transmits the difference between
what it "hears" as it's location and what it's actual measured location
is to the clients, which apply this change to their local "heard"
position.  (Assuming that both sides are within the appropriate range of
each other that allows them to hear the same satellites.)

Do I have it about right?

(I just hooked up my Garmin GPS-20 and my Delorme Tripmate again to my
"figure out what the differences are between these two GPS units are and
plot them on the screen" program -- it'll be interesting to compare the
results from now and 6 months ago...)

Out of curiosity, how many people in this discussion are hams?

--mike N8NVW

(Funny how the GPS changes are two weeks after the FCC Part 97 licensing
changes took place...  I wonder if there's any (even remote)
connection...)