Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:48:43 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blackbox-0.70 update problems (ports/78678)

Randy,

I'm running blackbox-0.70.0, boxtools-0.70.0, bbkeys-0.9.0 and
bbpager-0.4.0 based on my own patches which I posted here in the earlier
thread[1]. It's all still working perfectly for me on my 5.4-PRERELEASE
box.

> blackbox-0.70.0     A small and fast window manager for X11R6
> bbpager-0.3.1       A pager for the Blackbox window manager
> bbpager won't start and errors with cannot connect to window manager.

bbpager 0.3.1 appears not to work with blackbox 0.70.0, as I previously
observed. Unfortuantely there is not yet a 0.4.0 release so I'm running on
0.40.0 from CVS and was waiting to file PRs for this reason, as I
mentioned.

> bbkeys will start but the key bindings will not work.

The config and syntax has changed. In fact lots of things have changed in
the bb ports and since I haven't used the updated port(s), I don't know if
all the changes have been advertised in a package message for each affected
port.

> I'm suspecting that the update to blackbox-0.70 requires that some
> of the associated tools also need to be updated.

The two go together, so I'd expect both to be updated together.

> I also found a reference to a blackbox update on the freebsd-ports
> mailing list:
> 	http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20050310065239.GF76038
> in which Andrew Caines said that bbpager-0.3.1 will not work with
> blackbox-0.70.  If this is indeed the case, perhaps the blackbox update
> should be backed out until the companion ports are ready to be
> committed.

Yes, I should read the whole message first.

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |