Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:50:42 +0300
From:      "Yuri Muhitov" <muhitov@kostasoft.spb.ru>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Help with ipfw rules to allow DNS queries through

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
> [mailto:owner-freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of X Philius
> Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 4:47 AM
> To: G.P. de Boer; security@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Help with ipfw rules to allow DNS queries through

Hi, Jason!

UDP is connectionless transport protocol, isn't it?
Just add two lines which allow you access to EXT DNS, the rest must work
fine.

${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${ip} to any 53
${fwcmd} add pass udp from any 53 to ${ip}

Furthermore, You can restrict the list of DNS'es. Replace ANY by explicit
addresses...

Good Luck, Yuri.