Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:38:23 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good BT Cellphone support

Loren,

> I'm looking at getting a bluetooth cellphone soon and I am curious at
> which phones might be the best or have the best freebsd bt support.  I'd
> like to be able to sync the addressbook at a minimum, but more
> preferably to also be able to use it to go online or send files too.

pretty much any bluetooth enabled phone should be able to do what you
want. i personally prefer ericsson (now sony ericsson) phones. i've
upgraded from t68m to t630 and k700i. i've also tried nokia phones (6820
and 6600), but i did not like them that much :)

> I guess there are several protocols involved.  Sync support either comes
> in it's own sync protocol or is achieved by rfcomm and the standard

there are couple ways.

1) you could use serial port profile and standard AT commands set
(gammu, gnokii). this should work with many phones. this way is
typically used with nokia phones.

2) use OBEX/IRMC protocol. obexapp(1) from FreeBSD ports collection will
allow you to pull entire phone books/calendar/etc. from the phone.

> serial port sync protocol.  PAN is the bt protocol to surf the web and

what do you mean by surfing the web?

if you would like to use your phone as wireless modem to connect to the
internet then you need to use DUN. you also need to have GPRS service on
your phone and have "internet plan" with your provider. typically
providers will give you WAP over GPRS access and that does not work
unless you have WAP stack.

if you actually want to surf web on your phone and use your pc as
gateway/access point then you need LAN profile (PAN would also work in
this case but FreeBSD does not support PAN).

> obex or something is for sending files?  Is this correct and what do

OBEX is a generic protocol to transfer files. yes.

> most phones usually support?

i'd say you are likely to get

Serial port, FAX, DUN, Handsfree, Headset, OBEX push, OBEX File
Transfer, OBEX/IrMC

max