Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2010 01:06:09 -0500
From:      "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, "Dave Fourman\(Gmail\)" <dfourman@gmail.com>, Vanessa Kraus <vmkraus@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports and PBIs

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote=
:
> sorry for the cross-post..
>
> Last night at the Bay Area FreeBSD Users Group meeting we had
> a discussion about ports, and what is good about them and what
> is bad about them. This has been a topic of discussion quite a
> bit recently and we were looking for a solution that would
> allow us to keep the good parts of the current ports system
> but would allow us to give a better user experience for non
> guru users.
>
> The scheme we came up with involves a merging of the
> ports tree and the PBI system, developed for PC-BSD.
>
> Basically, the addition of a makepbi keyword in the .mk
> files to allow the automatic generation of PBIs for 'simple'
> ports such as 'cowsay' (the canonical simple app).
> More complicated apps would need manual work in Makefile or
> in a separate pbi-recipe file, but once the support was done
> we could proceed one port at a time. =A0Not all ports make sense
> in a PBI format. (e.g. libraries etc. may not)

I for one support this Idea, and at a BoF FreeBSD Desktop session at BSDCan=
 2008
one of my suggestions was to have FreeBSD "bless PBI's" I think this
is good For PC-BSD.
and in return it is GREAT for FreeBSD, as it will widen the user base
and hopefully attract a few more good developers.

keep this discussion going, because there isn't mush of a downside so
far as I can see.

Sam Fourman Jr.