Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:55:47 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        drwilco@drwilco.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: path_mtu_discovery

> : Out of curiosity, where do MTUs < ~512 occur?
>
> Old slip links that used it to reduce latency.  I suspect that there
> aren't too many of them left in the world.

You'd be suprised.  I measure SLIP's effeciency (in throughput) to be
about 5-15% more effecient than PPP in older versions of FreeBSD (both
using kernel versions, slip and ppp).  Since both were using static
configurations on both ends and the only traffic was TCP/IP, there was
no reason to use PPP over SLIP so we opted for using the more effecient
protocol.

I can imagine this is SLIP is still more effecient than PPP in terms of
CPU, although I haven't measured it in years.

Nate