Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 01:16:56 +0200
From:      adrik@nikhefk.nikhef.nl (Adri Koppes)
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Tandberg streamer

>Hardware:
>Tandberg 36XX 150MB Streamer
>
>Software:
>FreeBSD 2.0
>
>Message:
>kernel: st0(aha0:4:0): illegal request
>st0: Cannot set selected mode
>st0: oops not queued
>tar: read error on /dev/rst0 : Input/output error

>A tape operation is not working. Under FreeBSD 1.1.5
>a tape operation was possible once.
>Under Linux and WindowsNT the tape works well.
>Under DOS I have to repeat the command. I suggest
>that the tape device has to be reset after every
>operation.

I had exactly the same thing happen under 1.1.5 and 2.0. Tape load, rewind
and erase would work, but no reading or writing.
It turned out that my tape (wangtek 5525ES), when set in SCSI-2 mode, wanted
the SCSI-2 bit turned on in the mode select command.
I believe i made some changes for 1.1.5. I might be able to dig them up. For
2.0 I just set the tape to SCSI-1 mode.

Adri Koppes