Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2017 11:35:36 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   command history & multiple root vt sessions

I am at the keyboard that is wired to the computer.
Using the Fx keys I logon as root in 3 different vt sessions.
In each one issuing the "history" command shows a different set of
commands unique to that vt session. This is normal behavior.

How can this be? There is only a single /root directory on the host
system. All 3 vt sessions should be using the same .history file.

If I issue the "exit" command from the vt3 it should have updated the
/root/.history file with its session history content.

Then doing the same thing from vt2, it should have replaced the .history
file with it's session history content loosing the vt3 content.

Logging back in to vt2 & vt3 and issuing the "history" command shows the
same content they had when last exited.

I do not understand this behavior. What am I missing here?