Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2019 09:06:21 +0200
From:      Roger Pau =?iso-8859-1?Q?Monn=E9?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
To:        Brian Buhrow <buhrow@nfbcal.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i/o is very slow on FreeBSD dom0 with Xen-4.12 and Freebsd-12

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 04:23:10PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	hello.  I'm trying to get a FreeBSD-12 xen server up and running and
> have run into the issue that i/o seems to be very slow for the dom0, which
> is FreeBSD-12.0-stable, and Xen is xen-4.12.
> 	I followed the instructions for making FreeBSD a dom0 as written in
> 21.8 of the FreeBSD handbook.  All went well until I rebooted the machine
> with the /boot/xen kern loading.  The dom0 boots, but takes about 2 hours
> to get to the login prompt and, on the console, when ever I press
> control-t, it says what ever process is currently running is in biord.
> I'm familiar with NetBSD and how to make it run xen, and am familiar with
> FreeBSD as well.  Stil, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong that's simple,
> or, I missed some instruction that will seem obvious in retrospect.
> If anyone can help me shed light on the trouble, that would be great!

Thanks for testing it out. What you do is correct, I think there's
either an issue in Xen or the firmware.

> Below are my /boot/loader.conf and a transcript of a sample boot.
> Note that it took about  2 hours to get from the initial loading of the
> kernel to the getty error messages.
> -thanks
> -Brian
>
> </boot/loader.conf>
> boot_serial="YES"		# -h: Use serial console
> comconsole_speed="115200"	# Set the current serial console speed
> comconsole_port="0x2f8"	# Set the current serial console port
> #console="vidconsole"		# A comma separated list of console(s)
> console="comconsole"		# A comma separated list of console(s)
> geom_mirror_load="YES"		# RAID1 disk driver (see gmirror(8))
> ipmi_load="YES"		# Ripmi driver
> if_tap_load="YES"		# Load bridge driver.
> if_vlan_load="YES"		# Load vlan driver.
> # Turn on Xen (BB 10/08/2019)
> xen_kernel="/boot/xen"
> xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=4096m dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh console=com2,vga clocksource=hpet com2=115200,8n1 guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all"

Any reason to force the clock source to HPET? Not that's it's wrong,
I'm just curious about why you need that.

Can you change dom0=pvh to dom0=pvh,verbose and also add
iommu=verbose,debug and sync_console and post the boot log again.

There's no need to wait for 2h, just post what you get up to the point
where the box freezes.

[...]
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/gpt/gptroot [rw]...
> uhub0: 6 ports with 6 removable, self powered
> uhub6: 6 ports with 6 removable, self powered
> cd0 at ata4 bus 0 scbus2 target 0 lun 0
> cd0: <TEAC DV-28E-V 1.AB> Removable CD-ROM SCSI device
> cd0: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA2, ATAPI 12bytes, PIO 8192bytes)
> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present - tray closed
> usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> usbd_setup_device_deusbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> usbd_setup_device_deusbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
> usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> ugen1.2: <Unknown > at usbus1 (disconnected)
> uhub_reattach_port: could nGEOM_MIRROR: Device mirror/gm0 launched (1/2).
> GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: rebuilding provider ada1.
> WARNING: /mnt was not properly dismounted

The above timeouts point out that at least the usb controller is not
working properly. Let's see if we can get more data with the new
options on the command line.

Thanks, Roger.