Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:51:08 +0800
From:      David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtime thread priorities

John Baldwin wrote:
> So I finally had a case today where I wanted to use rtprio but it doesn't seem
> very useful in its current state.  Specifically, I want to be able to tag
> certain user processes as being more important than any other user processes
> even to the point that if one of my important processes blocks on a mutex, the
> owner of that mutex should be more important than sshd being woken up from
> sbwait by new data (for example).  This doesn't work currently with rtprio due
> to the way the priorities are laid out (and I believe I probably argued for
> the current layout back when it was proposed).
>
> The current layout breaks up the global thread priority space (0 - 255) into a
> couple of bands:
>
>   0 -  63 : interrupt threads
>  64 - 127 : kernel sleep priorities (PSOCK, etc.)
> 128 - 159 : real-time user threads (rtprio)
> 160 - 223 : time-sharing user threads
> 224 - 255 : idle threads (idprio and kernel idle procs)
>
> The problem I am running into is that when a time-sharing thread goes to sleep
> in the kernel (waiting on select, socket data, tty, etc.) it actually ends up
> in the kernel priorities range (64 - 127).  This means when it wakes up it
> will trump (and preempt) a real-time user thread even though these processes
> nominally have a priority down in the 160 - 223 range.  We do drop the kernel
> sleep priority during userret(), but we don't recheck the scheduler queues to
> see if we should preempt the thread during userret(), so it effectively runs
> with the kernel sleep priority for the rest of the quantum while it is in
> userland.
>
> My first question is if this behavior is the desired behavior?  Originally I
> think I preferred the current layout because I thought a thread in the kernel
> should always have priority so it can release locks, etc.  However, priority
> propagation should actually handle the case of some very important thread
> needing a lock.  In my use case today where I actually want to use rtprio I
> think I want different behavior where the rtprio thread is more important than
> the thread waking up with PSOCK, etc.
>
> If we decide to change the behavior I see two possible fixes:
>
> 1) (easy) just move the real-time priority range above the kernel sleep
> priority range

This is not always correct, a userland realtime process may not be
always more
urgent than a normal time-sharing code which is backing up a file system
or doing
some important things, for example receiving money account from a socket.
Process sleeping in kernel seems doing really important thing, for example
removing data from a device interrupt or writing into device, while a thread
which is realtime consuming 100% cpu time might be a deadloop thread.
> 2) (harder) make sched_userret() check the run queue to see if it should
> preempt when dropping the kernel sleep priority.  I think bde@ has suggested
> that we should do this for correctness previously (and I've had some old,
> unfinished patches to do this in a branch in p4 for several years).

This is too overhead, try it and benchmark it for real world application.