Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 01:08:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Kerr <mkerr@kerris.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2.1 Probe?

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Mike Kerr stands accused of saying:
> > I've had, on occasion, difficulty with my system probing my modem.  I've
> >
> > modem has been configured to COM3 (sio2) on IRQ 4, with the standard 3e8
> > base address.
> >
> > It's getting *really* frustrating.  I've even tried changing the IRQ on
> > this latest attempt to IRQ 3, but it still won't detect it.  The machine
> > I'm running is a 386DX-40 with 8M RAM.
>
> Neither IRQ 3 nor 4 are available if you have sio0 or sio1 respectively
> configured; you will have to use a different interrupt in that case.

I have disabled sio0 and sio1 in every configuration because I don't use
them.  I've tried booting with my normal kernel, with the kernel.old, and
with the generic kernel.

> > Is anybody aware of any incompatibilities with 386 motherboards and fast
> > COM ports, or if the probe has problems, or if there is a way I can
> > bypass the probe to get the thing to work?
>
> If your modem is an internal unit, and it does not have a _real_ UART
> on the board, it's likely that it is too _slow_, and the 2.1 sio
> probe is giving up on it.  You could try booting a 2.2 installation
> disk to see if it finds it, once you have fixed your interrupt problem.

I'll try that.  The modem is a 33,600 modem, one of the new ones, although
a noname.  The 28.8 I used was a Boca, though exhibited similar problems.
Interestingly though, I am able to get it to detect fine if I a) boot with
kernel.GENERIC and b) remove the ethernet card.

Ethernet card IRQ: 10	Base: 0x280
Modem         IRQ: 5	Base: 0x3E8

There should be no conflict here, yet if I boot with the generic kernel
and not have the ethernet card plugged in, it works.  If I plug the card
it, it doesn't.  Similar config does not work on subsequent kernel builds
other than generic.

If it would help, I could email you my kernel config file.  Perhaps I've
done something nutsy in it that I've overlooked, but I don't think so.

> > Oddly enough, if I boot into my DOS partition and use something like
> > Telemate, it works fine.
>
> DOS communications programs have very low expectations of serial hardware.
> You could probably jam a digestive biscuit into an ISA slot and log on
> to your favorite BBS with it, but that won't work too well with the
> BSD sio driver.

You've got a point. :)  I've seen DOS terms that completely ignore the
IRQ...

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike Kerr                | http://www.net/~mkerr