Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2013 03:46:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Erhan Gulsen <erhangulsen28@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Creating freebsd usb boot

> Hi,
> I am Erhan,i have a problem,i read your all definition but i can not
> create usb boot FreeBSD,i have a ubuntu 12.04 operating system.I want
> to create it with FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso but when i try
> this,it shows ''boot error''.Can you help me?

Do you want to install onto USB, or do you want to install from USB?

If you want to install from USB, you could download the memstick image and write to USB stick (raw device) with dd.

Directory
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.2/

includes a memstick image,

FreeBSD-9.2-BETA1-amd64-memstick.img

or you can stay with 9.1_RELEASE if you prefer, but get the memstick.img instead of disc1.iso .

I have never used Ubuntu, but dd should be a standard part of most any Linux distro.

Tom