Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:19:00 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPXrouted, Not seeing Netware 3.11

John Hay wrote:

	<chomp>

> > And it _seems_ the TWO ethernet_ii frame types on two different
> > protocols can't be done.
> > I don't use tcp/ip on the NW very often and it's probably been
> > broke since I changed from ethernet_802.3 to _II about 2 or 3
> > weeks ago.. :(
> > I do need it back! Is it possiable, Can two protocols share a
> > frame type??
> > (I know,  I need to ask that on a netware list/ng, I will, I'll
> >  figure out the tcp/ip on the NW later. Just thought I would
> >  throw it  out here maybe someone here will know)
> >

> You don't need to have a frame for every protocol. You can just bind
> both protocols to the same device/name.

Cool, That worked John, For now though I have disabled it all
again back to plain ol'jane IPX untill I get IPXrouted working!
Just that much less to cause probs. :)

> > My main concern now is to get IPXrouted working.
> > Any other ideas??
> >

> Hmmm. Everything looks ok. Maybe you should look at the output of
> ifconfig -a, netstat -sf ipx and netstat -rnf ipx to see if you
> can learn something more from it. You might also try tcpdump to
> see what is happening on the net.

It looks ok to me too but I'm no brain on this stuff, I just
muddle along..

A recap:
NW: Autoecec.ncf (Complete)
	file server name TCGUY-FS1
	ipx internal net 6345403
	load 386E-MCT slot=2 frame=ETHERNET_II name=IPXNET
	bind IPX to IPXNET net=36714239
	mount all

FreeBSD: (Wrapped)
ramillia (2)# ifconfig -a
ed0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,
					MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ipx 36714239H.D800CA39
	ether 00:00:d8:00:ca:39
ed1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,
					MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:40:33:27:55:99
lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 10.1.29.4 --> 204.97.248.2 netmask 0xffffff00

ramillia (3)# netstat -sf ipx
ipx:
	16 total packets received
	0 packets with bad checksums
	0 packets smaller than advertised
	0 packets smaller than a header
	0 packets with bad header lengths
	0 packets with bad length
	0 packets forwarded
	0 packets not forwardable
	0 redirects sent
	0 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
	0 packets for this host
	2 packets sent from this host
	0 packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
	14 packets discarded due to no route
	0 packets too big

ramillia (4)# netstat -rnf ipx
Routing tables

IPX:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
36710000H.*      36714239H.D800CA39H U           1        0       ed0

ramillia (5)# tcpdump
	tcpdump: listening on tun0
irrevelant stuff..
<ctrl-c>

ramillia (6)# tcpdump -i ed0
	tcpdump: SIOCGIFADDR: ed0: Can't assign requested address

ramillia (7)# tcpdump -i ed1
	tcpdump: listening on ed1
irrevelant stuff..
<ctrl-c>

Maybe this will shed some light..
	14 packets discarded due to no route

The tcpdump:
	tcpdump: SIOCGIFADDR: ed0: Can't assign requested address
I'm not suprized at, I was rgrep'in the src tree the other day
and found that /usr/src/usr.sbin/tcpdump has some ipx code in it
that looks a bit out dated.. :) Including a ipx.h.
It is from stock 2.1r.

Thanks for your assistance.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848