Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:49:03 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newsyslog.conf and large numbers of Log Files

	Can newsyslog be made to handle large numbers of log
files such as all the *.collect.log files produced in our mrtg
directory?

	Each device produces a log of the polling session and
those logs get huge very quickly. There are 498 such files and
putting a separate line in /etc/newsyslog.conf for each file is
an absurd idea as we are always adding and removing devices from
our network.

	The other alternative is a shell script to run that
would compress each file after renaming it, etc. That is not a
problem, but newsyslog already does that at least on single
files.

	I did try path/*.collect.log and nothing happened.

	Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer