Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:26:26 +0200
From:      Olivier Gautherot <olivier@gautherot.net>
To:        martes.wigglesworth@earthlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems compiling mplayer sources from the site.

Hi Martes!

I won't repeat the note about "it's not the right list..." but anyway...

Martes Wigglesworth wrote:

>When I attempt to compile mplayer-1.0pre5, I get the following error after gmaking the sources.
>

>>gmake install

Indeed, you should type make and not gmake: FreeBSD has its own make
utility.
If it does not recognize the makefile, it probably means that you have a
problem
with the ports repository. Did you download a fresh copy of ports.tar.gz
from
ftp.freebsd.org?

I would recommend that you refresh the repository: rename the current tree
to /usr/ports.old and install a freshly downloaded tree. Make sure you don't
overwrite an existing tree as this will cause more trouble than help
(sometimes,
some patches make their way to the official archive and the patch system
just
breaks... or the patch has nothing to see with the source you just
downloaded).
Follow this by a "pkgdb -u" and you should be set.

Hope it helps
    Olivier