Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:37:29 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: expat2 in /src

> I need to import expat2 into /src to get some basic XML reading
> capability, and expat2 being both small and good fits this slot.

Any reason you wouldn't use libxml2's SAX interface?  It's also got a
slick DOM interface that I highly recommend, as well as it being the
most feature complete XML opensource implementation (has a XSL engine
that works with libxml2 and an XMLsec library) that I'm aware of (and
MIT licensed too).

> So the simple question for the ports crew is, which option is
> better:
>
> A)  Import it so it shows up in /usr/lib and /usr/include as
>     the official expat2, and have the ports pick up this copy
>     through configure.
>
> B)  Import it so it shows up as something different ("libxmlthing")
>     from expat2, leaving the ports to continue to use
>     ports/textproc/expat2 since configure will not trigger on it.
>
> For the programs in /src which will need this, it makes no
> difference which of the two we choose.
>
> I like the fact that B) would decouple us from any version-issues
> like the ones we experienced with perl.  On the other hand, I wonder
> if the exposure to such problems is an issue with expat2, but 1227
> is a "large number of ports" in my book.

Given the hell that was incurred a while ago with Apache, mod_perl,
and PHP all having their own copy of expat with the same entry points,
B definitely sounds like the best option.  Just my $0.02.  -sc

PS I am skeptical of a need for any kind of XML parser in the base
tree though, it seems like software creep and whatever it is that
you're writing should be in the ports and depend on your preferred XML
library.  I'm writing the libxml bindings for Ruby and am curious as
to what you're use is for such a library.

--
Sean Chittenden