Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 95 18:39:20 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        root@gilbertr.npt.nuwc.navy.mil (Charlie Root)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: your mail

> subject: remote X-Windows
>
> Hi!
> I have seen eXodus, Xodus, or whatever the name, software which
> I believe allows the Apple Computers to launch Xwindows applications
> and of course observe them remotely.  What is required to do this
> between two Unix machines (or more specifically FreeBSD to SUN) ?

X running on "box1".

Application to run on "box2" and display using "box1"'s display.

On "box1" shell:

	box1% xhost +box2

On "box2" shell:

	box2% some_x_app -display box1:0.0 &

Or if the app can't take '-display',

	if "box2" is running csh as shell:

		box2% setenv DISPLAY box1:0.0
		box2% some_x_app &

	if "box2" is running sh or bash as shell:

		box2% DISPLAY=box1:0.0
		box2% export DISPLAY
		box2% nohup some_x_app &

More information is available from the O'Reilly X user's guide and the
X System Administrator's guide.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---