Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:51:08 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving chapters around in the Handbook

-On [20010720 16:51], Alexey Zelkin (phantom@FreeBSD.ORG) wrote:
>Do you propose me to 'rm -rf /' all our FreeBSD desktops here and
>replace it with Linux because FreeBSD was not designed to serve us
>as it did for last few years ?

You read more in my words than I said.

>I'm always using FreeBSD as server platform, but nothing stops me from
>using it as desktops also.

I know, I use it as a desktop system as well, but the fact remains it is
made for servers, everything hints at it.

>Maybe some time in future FreeBSD will have new make knob to build
>"not overengeneered" version of "world", i.e. (make DESKTOP_ONLY=YES world :-),
>but now I don't see a reason to stop people who attempts to make FreeBSD
>(code or documentation) better for end users (not experienced admins only).

That is the issue.

Is that document written for the end-user or for an administrator?

Both sets of documentation differ wildly and should be treated as
different documents (and yes, I am all in favor for splitting it off to
address this).  This effectively means that the current handbook is
trying to address both and in my opinion utterly fails.
If Murray wants to do the end-user handbook, more power to that
initiative, but I think it will be a dumb choice to ignore the score of
people who we have helped in the past, the administrators.

[Also one of the reasons I started the developer's handbook.]

And where on earth did you get the `stop people' idea from?  I am merely
trying to get a focus here, since focus and direction is something which
has been sorely lacking.  And not considering more options would, IMHO,
be very stupid to put it very blunt.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai asmodai@[wxs.nl|freebsd.org|xmach.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder, finger asmodai@ninth-circle.dnsalias.net