Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:45:44 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Brady Warren <gadget@toad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic: Double Fault

At 23:07 1/23/98 -0500, Brady Warren wrote:
>I posted this message on one of the FreeBSD Newsgroups with no answers.
>Maybe
>you guys/gals can help out............
>
>If this question has been asked before, sorry to all.
>
>    While booting my system using the 'Bootfloppy' I encountered a
>'Panic' fault. The error
>message was 'DOUBLE FAULT'. It came after the kernel configuration
>screen and after
>it ran throught all of its device probes. The last thing it tried to do
>was.....
>changing root device to fd0c
> ....then it tried to sync the disks and locked up tight.
>    I am running a Intel 133 w/48 meg ram, two IDE drive 2 and 3gig, 1
>CDrom. The
>drives are configured in this mannor: 2gig primary master, cdrom slave
>and the 3gig
>is the secondary master. I also have both the 5.25 and 3.5 floppies.
>    I am running Win95 and wish to install FreeBSD on the 3gig (if at
>all possible). I
>realize there might be some reconfiguring of hardware to do; however,
>why do I get this
>error before I even get to the install screens?
>
>                Any Suggestions?
>                Brady
>                gadget@toad.net

I had this exact problem.

I hear from the grapevine that there is a bug that affects computers with
48MB of RAM. This only affects you during boot from the boot.flp. After
installation you will never see it again. I guess that you are using the
2.2.5-RELEASE boot.flp.

You can do one of two things. Pull a couple simms and boot with 32MB ram;
or get a 3.0-SNAP boot.flp, boot with it, then change the selected
distribution to 2.2.5-RELEASE under the options menu.

I chose the latter. It worked fine. I can't say about pulling simms. Like I
said, I heard it through the grapevine.

Also, newsgroups are great, if you like UCE. :) This list is superior to
the groups for asking questions and getting correct and timely responses.
This web page supports this position.

http://www.freebsd.org/support.html

Good Luck,
Jason Wells