Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 05:02:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jbeukema@HK.Super.NET (John Beukema)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: packet forwarding

As John Beukema wrote:

> I am running 2.0.5R and iiij.ppp.  I am very pleased with it so far.  I
> have one problem however which is probably something stupid on my part.
>
> I have a local network on 10.0.0.1 to .15 on ed1 and iij.ppp on tun0.
>
> I would like to use the FreeBSD machine, winjef, as a gateway to the
> Internet.  My kernel is compiled with options GATEWAY.  After ppp is
> connected netstat -r gives as follows:

(Btw., options GATEWAY is almost a no-op these days.)

> Routing tables
>
> Internet:
> Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> default          ts1.hk.super.net   UGc         3      368      tun0
> 10               link#1             UC          0        0
> winjef           0:0:44:2:e6:c      UHLW        4      409       lo0
> john             2:0:0:91:7:8       UHLW        0        3       ed1    954
> 10.0.0.255       link#1             UHLW        1      404
> localhost        localhost          UH          0        8       lo0
> ts1.hk.super.net slip47.hk.super.ne UH          2        0      tun0
> slip47.hk.super. winjef             UGHS        0        0       ed1
> 224              link#1             UCS         0        0
>
> I can ping ts1.hk.super.net from winjef (10.0.0.2) and I can ping winjef
> from john (10.0.0.3)  but I cannot ping ts1.hk.super.net from john.
>
> I tried route add ts1.hk.super.net winjef and various other combinations
> but have not succeeded.

You cannot connect a 10.* net to the Internet.  It will not be routed,
hence you won't get answer packets for it from the other end of your
PPP link.  (Even if they would route your 10.*-net back through the
PPP link, they are forbidden to route it to the global net.)

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/