Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:39:21 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pavlo.baron@a-city.de
Cc:        Carl Johan Madestrand <lord_cj@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lpe: can't ./configure

Pavlo Baron wrote:

> Carl (Johan),
>
> sorry, my error description was not exact:
> so, it's simple to install the lpe via package. But i want to install it from
> the source code, because i changed some bg/fg-colors in the highlight.h - it's
> nothing to my eyes to read the light blue text on the black background, you
> know.    :)
>
> I guess, you mean the package-based kind of installation? If i err, please
> take a look at these steps i made to install that thing:
>
> 1. i've got libslang (the required version) installed on my machine
> 2. i've got lpe-1.2.5 sources
> 3. i "tar xfz"-ed the sources
> 4. i overwrite the src/highlight.h with my version
> 5. i execute ./configure
> 6. the error i get: the libslang library coudn't be found!
> now, here i am ... what should i do? it's very possible, i do something wrong,
> but i don't know what.
>
> P.S. is it possible to change some fg/bg-colors without recompiling the lpe?
> there is nothing about it in the man page.

You did it wrong. Try to do the following instead:
3. cd /usr/ports/editors/lpe ; make patch
4. Tweak the file in question (just edit necessary file in
/usr/ports/editors/lpe/work/lpe-1.2.5)
5. Build and install modified version: cd /usr/ports/editors/lpe ; make all
install clean
6. Enjoy ;).

-Maxim