Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 16:08:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, amigus@cs.mun.ca, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless FreeBSD

> I'm not talking about _should_, I'm talking about _is_.  We run dickless
> workstations here, and if you don't preallocate the swapfile, they
> _don't_work_.
>
> I don't know _why_, I suspect that the NFS swap code doesn't/won't/can't
> extend the file, but I haven't been bothered enough by it to try to find out.

How can an NFS client know whether the server is zero-filling the
pages or not?

If you mean "extend the file", that's very different from seeking out
to 20M and writing one byte (which is what I think should work).

Typically, I'd say it can't extend the file because, like mmap, the
vnode/extent used for cache mapping images (even for swap files)
references the length from the mapping structure, not from the in
core vnode.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---