Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intelligent Debugging Tools...

> On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > Why?  And how many changes are there in your kernel config file with
> > respect to the GENERIC kernel?  Did you make the fatal mistakes that
> > others have made and started from the LINT config file instead of the
> > GENERIC config?
> >
> 	*groan*  What's wrong with using the LINT config file and
> trimming it down to what you want?

Many people don't trim it down enough and end up with strange problems,
looks as if you did a good trim job though I really doubt your need
for *_MAX=128 and SHMMAXPGS=512.

I also thought you had an NCR scsi controller, which means you don't
need BOUNCE_BUFFERS.

> 	Here's my config file (pt0/sctarg0) removed...in case there
> is something else i shouldn't have configured in? :(
> # Under some circumstances it is necessary to make the default max
> # number of processes per user and open files per user more than the
> # defaults on bootup.  (an example is a large news server in which
> # the uid, news, can sometimes need > 100 simultaneous processes running,
> # or perhaps a user using lots of windows under X).
> options		"CHILD_MAX=128"
> options		"OPEN_MAX=128"

Do you _really_ need these?

> config		kernel	root on sd0
>
> options		"COMPAT_43"
> options		SYSVSHM
> options		"SHMMAXPGS=512"   # 2048Kb (?) of sharable memory

The default is 1024, you trimming this on purpose?

> options		QUOTA			#enable disk quotas

Unless you are really using QUOTA's remove it.

> options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS

Hummmm PCI machine with NCR scsi controller, nope you do not need this,
remove it!