Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 10:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: poll() vs select()

Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, John Polstra wrote:
>
>> In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9907042155090.66085-100000@janus.syracuse.net>,
>>
>> The application itself has to get involved if it wants to do async
>> name lookups, or async anything else, for that matter.  Suppose you
>> do have an async thread to do hostname lookups as you propose.  What
>> is the application going to do while that thread is waiting for the
>> lookup to complete?  It depends on the application, and thus it has
>> to be coded into the application.  Maybe there's nothing useful the
>> application could do until the lookup returns.
>>
>> I've been told that it works fine to use libc_r and put the name
>> lookups into a separate thread.  But to take advantage of it, the
>> application has to have something useful it wants to do (and can do)
>> in the meantime.
>
> It would let the other threads run more while the lookup is occurring.
> Wouldn't that be the most natural expectation of it? Or would this
> be too hard without kernel-assisted threading?

What I'm saying is, we already have that in multi-threaded
applications.  The system can't just provide it automatically to
single-threaded applications; they wouldn't know how to take advantage
of it.  In other words:

    * Multi-threaded applications already have it.
    * Single-threaded applications can't use it.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron