Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:25:42 +0900
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@geocities.co.jp>
To:        papalia@udel.edu
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docbook4.1?

John <papalia@udel.edu> wrote
 in <4.3.1.2.20000828090509.00ad6200@mail.udel.edu>:

> I was just checking the up-to-dateness of my ports, and I realized that
> docbook-1.1, 2.41, 3.0, and 3.1 are all installed - i'm assuming that this
> was either accomplished directly by or by dependencies from the docproj
> metaport?  I was wondering if those could all be uninstalled and replaced
> simply by docbook-4.1 and still have everything work right for doing
> documentation and tagging?

 In short, a version of DocBook DTD has nothing to do with
 another version of the DTD.  Of course, there are some compatibility
 between two versions of the DTD, but it is not expected.

 So, it is right that you have some version of the DTD at the same time, and
 you need DocBook-3.1 at least because most of FDP docs written in SGML
 now need it.  Docproj metaport will install docbook-2.4.1/3.0/3.1/4.0/4.1.