Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 16:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josh Howard <obiwan@zeppelin.net>
To:        Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>, David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>, Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.0-19970209-SNAP to -current

On 26-Apr-97 Wm Brian McCane wrote:
>Just to add further fuel to the fire, I rebuilt this kernel with the
>compiler from  SNAP-970209, and sources I cvsup'd only minutes before.
[...]
>the make world, only a couple of days I will admit but it has the following
>configuration:
>
>       32Meg of memory (all sockets filled with 8Meg SIMMs)
>       PCI Bus
>       ISA Mach-32 card.
>       syscons UI.
>       SMC ethernet card
>       1 parallel
>       1 serial
>       1 Supra Express 28.8 PNP modem (defaults to com2)
>       3-IDE hard drives
>       1 floppy

It's another sighting of that darn Supra Express! Burton Sampley seems to have
the same modem and doesn't see any of the problems that me and other seem to
experience. I guess this does support the sio theory a little better. Last
night apparently one of PacBell's switches broke, so, my pppd, as I found out
in the morning, redialed hundreds upon hundreds of times without a reboot. This
with the SNAP sio.c, we'll see how this goes. I find it rather hard to believe
no one else in -current runs an external modem with pppd though.
Interesting.

---
Josh Howard (obiwan@zeppelin.net)
The first myth of management is that it exists.  The second myth of
management is that success equals skill.
                -- Robert Heller