Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:50:52 -0500
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        <jim@luna.cdrom.com>, "J McKitrick" <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "stable" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.1 date?

> What's wrong with 4.0?  I've installed it on quite a few boxes quite a
> few times, and haven't had any trouble.  Also, the 4.0 CDs just started
> shipping two weeks ago.  We do have a turn-around time.. it's not like
> Jordan rolls the release, burns the CD, sends it off to the replicator's
> and we have XXXX copies back in 2 hrs to be shipped.. this stuff takes a
> little time ;-)

ATA had some problems with some hardware (excellent otherwise).  Also, I
have a box where it just hangs at "probing devices (this may take awhile)".
It takes forever and ever - and never completes.  The most recent snapshot
works like a charm.  So, there are a lot of little bugs in 4.0 that can only
be found when widely run and tested.  That is why many people are waiting
for 4.1.  They can't afford to do that testing.  I can and am using it on a
production server.

> If people are waiting for 4.1, they shouldn't be; there's no reason for
> them not to be using 4.0.

I just mentioned one above.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net