Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:41:27 +0300
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Solaris comparisons?

We are mostly using FreeBSD on our servers though we have had one sun
ultrasparc I machine with solaris 2.7 installed (or solaris 7).
As far as I can tell Solaris is hard to administrate and maintain.
We have had problems with Solaris cause they are not able to give
GNU licensed programs since it is an commercial os and it took hours
to find download and install compiler etc.
And also I have found out that in solaris we need to create a file
for everything like /etc/defaultgateway vs. and there is really not
enough documentation about these files. It is easy with FreeBSD since
it has a central configuration file and lots of documentation.

Maybe it was a little bit strange for me to use solaris after freebsd
though.

About the stability both of the operating systems are very stable and
We are just closing them if we want to do maintenance etc.

here is an article which has information about SunOS, Linux and FreeBSD;