Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:09:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@wolfepub.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Protecting data in memory

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> Is there any way to protect a programs memory space from all users, even
> root?  I am developing an encryption program that has to run as a daemon.
> Upon start-up the program would prompt for the key, then slip into daemon
> land.  If the server is compromised (root access is gained) can I prevent
> the cracker from reading the program's memory and gaining access to the key
> data?  As long as I can keep the key secure, the data should be safe (I'm
> using IDEA in chain-block mode).  I'm currently writing the program in C.
>
> If this is not possible (protecting the key), then can someone shed some
> light on how I can protect sensitive data on an on-line machine?  I know, I
> know, but this data "has" to be on-line for processing that happens all day
> long.

There was discussion on freebsd-security recently about using the
immutable flag to prevent debuggers/etc from attaching to processes exec'd
from the file.  I think this is mis-use of the immutable flag, and instead
recommended a flag specifically implying process protection when running
-- this would have several effects, including:

1. Preventing core dumps to disk for the process
2. Preventing debuggers from attaching to the process
3. Making /proc access to its memoryspace/etc disabled (sort of 2)
4. Preventing ktrace/truss from attaching to the process
5. Limiting signal delivery to the process (to prevent premature exit,
   etc).
6. Other things here?

This might be good for audit daemons, key/token managers, etc.  I was
thinking of implementing this some time in the next few weeks -- if there
are any items missing from the list above, please let me know...

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/